Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Lesson Planning --> Classroom



Being back in the classroom is weird! We have spent half of this week’s class time teaching the lessons that we have been working hard to prepare. So far, I have found myself in the midst of elementary school math classrooms as well as a higher level PE class. It feels strange to be sitting in a desk as a student again. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been attending all of the classes that I am currently registered for. However, I look at these classes as direct preparation for my future career(s). It has been a while since I have learned how to round or perform a line dance.
From having the experience of “being a third grader” learning how to round to the tens place on Monday, teaching Math I felt even stranger. With an elementary school class, most of the things we learn at that left are committed to memory. We have to use those fundamental concepts in every class that follows which allows for practice and internalization. With high school classes, it is so easy to retain the information for a test and then forget it because we are not asked to apply what we’ve learned once we leave that classroom. Once students fulfill their minimum credits, they may not have to take certain subjects ever again. This is especially common for math classes as they are stereotyped for boring and irrelevant. For this reason, high school math teachers face an exceptionally daunting task when making their lessons both enjoyable and memorable.
I discovered this on a whole new level as I taught my function transformation earlier this afternoon. When I handed out my first activity to link to prior knowledge, I realized that some students did not have enough background to do what was expected to be already known at this point in the semester. While I had tried to simplify it done as much as possible by cutting out over 2/3 of my selected NCSCOS standard, I realized that not all of my students were actually ready to be learning what I was about to teach. This hit me pretty hard as I realized how much impact a teacher can or cannot have on their students. Some of my students may have not had a math class since their sophomore or junior year of high school. This is three or four years that they have had to forget their loosely taught understanding of some of the concepts from their classes. How can I as a future teacher make sure that this time gap does not phase their understanding of the lessons taught in my class? How can I make my students more passionate about math so that they will want to internalize what I teach?
These two questions are commonly asked by teachers of all age groups and all content areas. Many have attempted to answer them, but I do not believe there is a cookie cutter answer that will solve it all. The needs of each student are different from their peers and must be treated as so. Teachers must use a mixture of enthusiasm for their content, real life applications and tying in student interests to develop their lessons so students will also find them important and be able to comprehend them. In math, it is so easy to get caught up in the formulas and miss how it is useful in the world around us. My goal is to appeal strongly to my students’ interests by using specific examples that involve them. This will let my students know I am not only concerned with their academic well-being but their personal well-being as well.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad that you notice that students really only learn the formulas for math and then forget them after. That is exactly what I did in my high school math classes. I think that is is definitely a positive thing that you still have about 3 more years so you will still have time to brain storm ways to make math more interesting and make your students want to not just forget the formulas after the test is over with. You had a really good lesson and teaching skills so keep it up and you will make a great teacher someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that you did a great job teaching and I really felt like you were a teacher. I know you are going to be very prepared to be a teacher when you graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney, I think you did a great job teaching last week! It was quite the refresher for most of us as we had forgotten those skills because as you said we have not used them since 9th or 10th grade. However, I think if some of my teachers had done what you did my connecting to things such as future paychecks I would have found the content they were teaching me as more than just facts needed for the test. Math was always my favorite subject in school, but I cannot remember anything I did in my calculus class because it was never made relevant outside of the classroom. You have awesome goals as a future teacher that I think will change the view point of this subject for many students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be so hard on yourself, you did good. I didn't even get to finish mine because I ran out of time. As it relates to your last paragraph, you could also try constantly referring back to previous lessons and having them still do some of those math problems from earlier in the semester so that the info doesn't just go to the back of their minds and forget. I don't know of any examples I can give for math but I do in mine (history). In U.S. history there are plenty of federal and state laws that violate several rights in the Bill of Rights throughout our history. I'd constantly be referring back to when we covered the Bill of Rights so it stays in their minds and stay relevant throughout the course. In order to understand what we'd be covering now they'd have to remember what have already gone over, so we are building on what we already know. Maybe something similar to this but in math terms may help keep the info in their heads and relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sydney,
    I know you wanted your lesson to go flawlessly...but...you learned a lot of valuable lessons through this experience. I am confident you will approach the planning process differently when you teach again. How does this learning sync with the NCTCS?

    ReplyDelete