When I think about my future in the
School of Education and as a teacher, it is sometimes extremely daunting. There
are so many factors that play a role in fostering success and it can be
overwhelming to ponder how my classroom will encompass all of them. Being at
the beginning of the entire process has left me focusing on how long it appears
to take to get to the other side. It has been so easy to get lost in the hustle
and bustle of our projects and lose the larger picture of a promising career. However,
these stressful thoughts are heavily outweighed by the positive reassurance I
receive with each class.
Today, I was refreshed by the
encouraging words of a future middle school social studies teacher who is less
than a semester away from student teaching. Dr. Parker and Dr. Clark asked her
to come teach a lesson for our class so that we could see how much one grows
throughout their time in the School of Education. My experience during her
class was much more beneficial than any social studies class I have ever been a
part of. While she was there to teach a 7th grade World War I
lesson, I learned so much more than the definition of imperialism and pros and
cons of military alliances. She taught the major concepts of the war without
ever shifting her students’ focus to the memorization names and dates.
One of the biggest elements that I
appreciated about her lesson was that she drove her instruction through her
students’ voices. Each time she wanted to introduce a new aspect, she empowered
her students by having them form their own hypotheses through observations,
make definitions and connect the vocabulary to concepts we understood from
daily life. She acknowledged the strengths behind each student’s response and
connected it to the larger theme she was trying to portray. As a student in her
class, I interpreted this as “I’m invested in your growth and success. You have
made great connections. Here is how the ideas you have connect even deeper.”
In the classroom, this is CRUCIAL.
Students are more driven to contribute to discussions if they feel like their
opinion will be respected and valued. Ms. Carol did a phenomenal job of
acknowledging each and every one of her students, even those that were
intentionally trying to be difficult. She moved forward from each formative
assessment, making adjustments when there were lulls in the conversation or
confused expressions. In my future classroom, I hope to approach each lesson
with the same attitude Madalyn did. By letting the students know that I am
devoted to their success and proud of their understanding along the way, I will
be positively contributing to the overall environment and its effects on my
classroom.
Sydney, I agree with what you said about how you lose the bigger perspective of a promising career when we are caught up in all our work and projects. It is crazy that it is almost the end of the semester! I really enjoyed her lesson as well and think that we can all learn from her and take ideas of her planning and presenting for our future lessons for our classes.
ReplyDeleteSydney,
ReplyDeleteI totally understand where you are coming from this week. Sometimes when I sit down and think about my time left at GWU and everything that has to be done as an education major. There is light at the end of the tunnel and one day when we get to stand in front of our own classrooms and say "We made it!!', these stressful years of school will be worth it. From your blog, I could really tell how you were absorbing the information we got through seeing the soon to be student teacher. I too learned a lot of the things you did. The way she constructed her class is what made the learning more engaging and more interesting and that is the best way to reach students. Good luck the rest of the semester!
Stephanie Blackwell
Sydney,
ReplyDeleteThis. Is. An. Awesome. Blog. I am amazed by how much you have already internalized concerning teaching and learning! You can also clearly articulate your ideas. Yes! The pre-student teacher is awesome and taught a great lesson. Great job with picking out elements from her lesson that helped her to achieve success.
JP