It finally happened this week! We
went to observe high school classrooms! I can honestly say that I have never
been so excited to enter a room filled with freshmen as I was when we first
arrived on Monday. This excitement was accompanied by nervousness. I wasn’t
sure what age I would be observing, and it was stressful to think that they
could potentially be just two years younger than me. Even though there is a
sizeable maturity gap (experience wise) between college sophomores and high
school seniors, it was scary to think that I would be in a room with students
that are basically my peers. Therefore, when I received my freshmen Foundations
of Math I room assignment, both my nerves decreased and my enthusiasm heightened.
However, my clinical experience
didn’t go as smoothly as I had imagined. I constantly found myself taking notes
on things I wanted to make sure did not occur in my future classroom. Before
the students came back from lunch, my group and I had a few minutes to get to
know our clinical educator. She was thrilled to find that I was pursuing math
education but was also very hesitant about my plan to stay in North Carolina.
While I am used to others having negative feelings towards teaching math, it
was extremely disheartening to witness the same attitude from someone in the
profession. From this point, I knew it was going to be a rough hour long observation.
When the students arrived back from
lunch, I recognized almost automatically how loud and disrespectful they were
based on the forceful tone my clinical educator had to use. She maintained a
high volume for the entire class period and asked her questions in such a way
that demanded immediate, monotone responses from the rest of the class. As some
as the students asked questions during her guided practice, she became
frustrated quickly by all of the other happenings and gave blunt answers that
provided no depth for understanding. This frustrated me to end because finding
meaning in the processes of what you’re learning is important, especially in
math.
As Foundations of Math I students,
I imagine these were students that had no affection towards math. This in turn
made attitudes overwhelmingly strong from the get-go. I observed many sassy eye
rolls and a lot of mumbling under breath as the students clearly did not want
to be doing the problems assigned. This was my clinical educator’s third class
of the day and I could tell she was mentally drained from trying to facilitate
learning from “life expert” freshmen all morning long. For this reason, she had
no hesitation to telling them to use their calculator to distribute simple
fractions across parentheses [y+2=¾(x-8)] as well as threatening to have them
write formulas for slope-intercept form and point-slope form 25 times each if
they did not have them memorized by tomorrow’s class.
While I found it extremely hard to
sit through this class, it did provoke a great deal of thought about how I will
manage situations and students like this. How would I arrange the desks/students
at them to break up cliquey attitudes while still condoning an enjoyable environment?
What parts of this lesson could I turn into a game or activity that got the
students up and moving around? What would I use to ensure organization of notes
and problems while not making the notebooks a stressful mandate? How could I
truly assess my students without just calling on them randomly to recite the next
step we were to take in that problem? Although I did not find the perfect answer
to any of these questions or have an epiphany about my philosophy of math
education during this class, this experience did allow me to better see what is
in store a few short years down the road. This not so picturesque opportunity
helped me realize that even though secondary education isn’t a walk in the
park, it is exactly where I want to be.
Sydney,
ReplyDeleteAlthough not ideal for a clinical approach, I truly appreciate the way you turned this into a positive learning experience for you! Thank you for making key observations for your future classroom!
You are already coming to terms with a key question for HS math teachers...what can I do to help my students see why this lesson is important to them? You are going to have to be intentional to remove every possible barrier in order for your students to experience success.