Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Escaping Initial Panic



Today marks the beginning of my blogging journey! My two professors, Dr. Clark and Dr. Parker, have challenged my class to keep a weekly blog on what we gain from our pursuit whether it be a conversation in class, a public classroom observation or any other outside research we have done. To be completely honest, I have no idea what to expect from this experience. I have never successfully kept a journal of any kind for more than about a month because I have never felt like I was getting anywhere. However, I feel that a weekly reflection will not only make it easier to maintain but easier to examine growth.
On the first day of our Education 250 class, I was extremely overwhelmed. We spent our entire two hour block in deep conversation of how much of an impact we will potentially have on our students for 30+ years. The topic jumped between various aspects of the class from skyping into a live classroom, to breaking down the GWU School of Education mission statement, to putting ourselves into the teacher’s shoes. All the while, we were moving between taking attendance, the do.com agenda, a secondhand chat, new candidate orientation and an exit ticket. I felt like I was scrambling to keep up and differentiate between all of the links we were using. My efforts to multitask seemed overrun and I wasn’t sure how I was going to “hold on.” I was fully expecting a long semester.
After three days of class and some outside research and conversations, I am happy to say that I am no longer in complete panic mode. Although I am still amazed by how much I have to learn, I am encouraged. Today, we did an exercise where we sorted statements into the five NC Teacher Candidate Standards. Collectively, my group read through every single statement, carefully discussing which category it might belong to. I recognized that the five standards run extremely close to one another and often have overlaps in topic that make them hard to differentiate. Before class, when I saw that we were discussing standards, I got worried that they would be too technical to remember. However, I can already feel myself sorting through the information and starting to create my own definitions for what I think each area should encompass.
I am no longer deeply burdened but am curious to understand how secondary math education fits into these standards. I found myself researching the national standards in mathematics and discovered that they are different based on the content being learned. There are standards for geometry, algebra, number and operations, measurement and data analysis and probability. With all of these being so well defined and students being able to choose their own path of math classes, I am curious to know what overall standards are set in terms of content that must be known to graduate. I have started my hunt for the answer through various emails to my mother who is a community college math instructor as well as my high school calculus teacher. I am in high hopes to get some advice on where to search soon!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

5 comments:

  1. Sydney, I completely agree with everything that you wrote. Especially when you said you were very overwhelmed the first day and it was a lot to take in. Sitting in class hearing that for the next 30+ years we will have an impact on students lives was scary in a way. I was also very overwhelmed with all the different websites, apps and how much we used the internet. However I think that the activity we last did in class definitely helped to tie everything together and calm us down and make us realize that although there is a lot of work and information we need to know, it will all work out and be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney, I am relieved by reading your blog. I felt that I was the only one in our education class that felt overwhelmed and completely lost the first few days of class. I am glad that I wasn't the only one with those feelings. The words that impacted me the most the very first day of class were Sydney, I am relieved by reading your blog. I felt that I was the only one in our education class that felt overwhelmed and completely lost the first few days of class. What impacted me the most on the first day of class is hearing how much of an influence we will be upon thousands of children. We will have this career for the next 30+ years of our life and that can be quite intimidating to hear, especially for our first time being in an education class. I have decided to challenge myself and not let anything in the class further intimidate me, but to be motivation to be the best that I can be. I think that you should, too!! I am so glad that things are clearing up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that we have this class together Syd! on another note though, I truly agree on what you are saying about this class. I hope we both enjoy it and understand all we need to do and go throw to become the best teacher out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Syd,
    Just want you to know that you are not alone in the over whelmed feelings. There is so much to learn and do, it seems like there won't be enough time. I'm happy to hear that you feel like you know what you are doing now though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sydney,
    I'm glad you kept coming back! We truly did not mean to overwhelm all of you, but there is a lot to know and do. I am glad to hear that things are getting better as we move into the real work of the semester. Imagine how much you have learned already, too! You all have been phenomenal, and are learning this stuff so fast. Please feel free to ask questions or slow us down when you need clarification. We are so excited to be teaching you all that we sometimes move too fast. As we continue to progress through the semester, I challenge you to see all of the points of frustration and uncertainty as opportunities for growth, as you have already done. That's what you need to be a successful teacher.
    On another note, the state defines what your students will need to know in each area in Math. It's called the NCSOCS. This is the "what you teach." You can find it if you google North Carolina Standard Course of Study. You will see how the national standards you looked up parallel what NC expects. I love that you are already beginning to research for this class. Great post!

    ReplyDelete